The USA men’s basketball national team minicamp took place in Las Vegas a few days ago for the joy of NBA betting fans. It has 34 players that include 11 of the 12 players on the team that won the FIBA World Cup and nine members from the gold medal team from the 2012 London Olympics. Here is a list of the 34 players that took part in a recent minicamp for the team, beginning with the newest eight:
- Harrison Barnes (Golden State)
- Jimmy Butler (Chicago)
- Michael Carter-Williams (Milwaukee)
- Mike Conley (Memphis)
- Draymond Green (Golden State)
- Tobias Harris (Orlando)
- DeAndre Jordan (L.A. Clippers)
- Victor Oladipo (Orlando)
Other members who were already on the roster before the August 6 additions include:
- LaMarcus Aldridge (San Antonio)
- Carmelo Anthony (New York)
- Bradley Beal (Washington)
- DeMarcus Cousins (Sacramento)
- Stephen Curry (Golden State)
- Anthony Davis (New Orleans)
- DeMar DeRozan (Toronto)
- Andre Drummond (Detroit)
- Kevin Durant (Oklahoma City)
- Kenneth Fareid (Denver)
- Rudy Gay (Sacramento)
- Paul George (Indiana)
- Blake Griffin (L.A. Clippers)
- James Harden (Houston)
- Kyrie Irving (Cleveland)
- LeBron James (Cleveland)
- Kawhi Leonard (San Antonio)
- Kevin Love (Cleveland)
- Chandler Parsons (Dallas)
- Chris Paul (L.A. Clippers)
- Mason Plumlee (Portland)
- Klay Thompson (Golden State)
- John Wall (Washington)
- Russell Westbrook (Oklahoma City)
The coaching staff includes Mike Krzyzewski (Duke) as the head coach. Assisting him are Jim Boeheim (Syracuse), Tom Thibodeau and Monty Williams (both from Oklahoma City)
The men’s team does not have an international competition this summer, so the purpose of the minicamp was to continue to build relationships among the players. The minicamp basically consisted of light workouts and no contact, with more of an All-Star feel to it.
Here are some notes about the players:
- The 34 players come from 21 different NBA teams. Golden State is the only team with four players, while Cleveland and the L.A. Clippers each are contributing three.
- In addition to the players who won gold at the FIBA World Cup and the 2012 Olympics, five members (Curry, Durant, Love, Gay and Westbrook) were on the 2010 World Championship team.
- Four (Anthony, James, Paul and Howard) were on the 2008 U.S. Olympic gold medal team. Two (James and Anthony) played on the 2004 Olympic team that settled for a bronze medal.
- The minicamp also includes the last two MVPs from FIBA World Cups: Irving (2014) and Durant (2010).
- The minicamp roster has the NBA’s top 10 scorers from 2014-2015 and 18 of the best 28 scorers. There are six of the NBA’s 12 best rebounders and seven of the league’s top 11 players in terms of assist. Of the league’s best 18 players in terms of steals, 10 of them are on the roster.
The Olympics in 2016 will take place from August 5 – 21 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Twelve nations will participate in men’s basketball at the Olympics. The USA qualified by winning the 2014 FIBA World Cup. The other qualifiers are the gold and silver medal winners from the FIBA Americas and Europe zone qualifying tournaments from 2015, and the gold medal nations from the Oceania, Asia and Africa zone tournaments in 2015. The rest of the berths go to the teams with the best finishes in the 2016 FIBA World Olympic Qualifying Tournament.
In Olympic play, the American men are 130-5, with a .963 winning percentage. The men’s team has competed in 17 Olympics, winning 14 gold, one silver and two bronze medals.Sources: