The 2019 Kentucky Derby is on May 4. Because the Derby allows for 20 entrants, it helps to break down our handicapping into favorites and dark horses and longshots. Check out a run down of the favorites, horses offering Kentucky Derby odds less than +2000, to win the Run for the Roses!
2019 Kentucky Derby Betting Favorites
- When: Saturday, May 4 at 6:50pm ET
- Where: Churchill Downs Racetrack
- TV: NBC
- Live Stream: NBCsports.com
2019 Kentucky Derby Betting Favorites Odds
- Roadster +500
- Omaha Beach +550
- Game Winner +700
- Improbable +900
- Maximum Security +1000
- Tacitus +1000
- Vekoma +1300
- Code of Honor +1600
The Santa Anita Derby winner sure looks like a solid play, but there are some questions. Yes, he beat Game Winner in the SA Derby, but he didn’t run particularly fast, at least, not as fast as Omaha Beach, Maximum Security, and Tacitus did when they won their Derby prep races. Not only that, but the extra 1/8 of a mile could be kryptonite to this Quality Road runner. Beware the short odds.
The second choice sure looked good winning the Arkansas Derby. He also produced a fantastic work over the weekend that shows he’s ready to run his best on Saturday. Omaha Beach is a legitimate favorite that must be taken seriously.
The two-year-old champion couldn’t get by Omaha Beach in the Rebel Stakes. Then in the Santa Anita Derby, he couldn’t hold off Roadster. What’s even more worrisome is that he doesn’t appear to have gotten any faster as a three-year-old than he was as a two-year-old. He’d have to improve on the first Saturday in May and that’s hard for a horse to do.
The final Bob Baffert trained horse that will enter the Kentucky Derby starting gate showed all sorts of talent after going undefeated as a two-year-old. However, this year, like Game Winner, he hasn’t improved that much. He let Long Range Toddy run him down in the other division of the Rebel Stakes before not being able to get past Omaha Beach in the Arkansas Derby. If he improves he can win, but right now, it’s hard to see that happening.
The Jason Servis trained Florida Derby winner is undefeated in 4 races. Not only that, but he’s run faster than most any other horse entered in the Derby. Some believe he’s just a speedball, but he runs so effortlessly and pays such close attention to his jockey’s cues that it’s hard to see him not rating behind horses if he must. He might be a freak, which makes him a great play at +1000.
The Wood Memorial winner is trained by the great Bill Mott, the man who saddled the incomparable Cigar. Mott doesn’t often have a Derby runner. This horse was sired by Tapit, though, which makes him the best bred horse in the race. Not only that, he won both the Grade 2 Tampa Bay Derby and the Grade 2 Wood Memorial. There’s a lot to like about Tacitus.
He’s got a funky stride that might turn off some horseplayers. But, here’s the thing, he laid way off in the Fountain of Youth and made a winning move before having trouble in the stretch. Then, he laid right off the pace in the Blue Grass Stakes and did win. Vekoma has shown the ability to run whatever way his jockey and trainer wants him to run. That means he has flexibility heading to Churchill Downs. Flexibility is a wonderful thing to have in the Kentucky Derby.
Code of Honor
He’s a borderline favorite. Even if you think of him as a longshot, Code of Honor is hard to endorse. He ran great when winning the Fountain of Youth, but he didn’t step forward in the Florida Derby. He’ll have to improve to have any shot of hitting the board.
Kentucky Derby 2019 Racing News
- Kentucky Derby Horse Racing Odds & Picks to Bet On May 7th
- 2022 Kentucky Derby Betting Predictions: Let’s Forget the Odds, Which Horse Can Actually Win?
- 2022 Kentucky Derby Betting Favorites: Top 4 Options for The Run for the Roses
- 2022 Kentucky Derby Trifecta, Superfecta & Exacta Betting Picks and Analysis
- 2022 Kentucky Derby Betting Picks Updated: Dark Horses and Longshots Options
- 2022 Top Stakes to Bet On: Kentucky Oaks and Derby Highlights Weekend Action
- 2022 Kentucky Derby Betting Odds and Picks: Contenders and Longshot
- 2022 Kentucky Derby Betting Tips to Make the Most Profit
- 2022 Kentucky Derby Betting Update: Asmussen Looks for 1st Derby Win
- 2022 Kentucky Derby Betting Update: Odds Favorite and Top Contenders
- 2022 Triple Crown Betting Predictions: Kentucky Derby Odds Favorites and Picks
- 2022 Kentucky Derby Betting Odds Update: Top Pick, 2nd Best Option and 3rd Best Choice
- Horse Racing Betting Update: 2022 Kentucky Derby Odds – Early Contenders
- 2022 Triple Crown Betting Predictions: Will This Year Give Us a New Champion?
- Early 2022 Kentucky Derby Horse Racing Betting Odds and Analysis
- Horse Racing Betting: 2021 Kentucky Derby Recap
- 2021 Kentucky Derby Superfecta & Pick 4 Betting Predictions
- 2021 Kentucky Derby Exacta & Trifecta Betting Predictions