The Wests Tigers and Penrith Panthers will both be looking to extend their identical two-game winning streaks when they throw down in their round 8 clash of top 6 teams when they square off on Saturday. With Penrith one of four teams with five wins or more heading into round 8 and the Wests Tigers looking to reach five victories in this clash, let’s find out where the best betting value lies in this matchup so you can place your bets against their NRL odds.
NRL Panthers Vs Wests Tigers Round 8
Why Bet On The Wests Tigers
The Tigers are sitting in sixth place in the NRL standings with eight points while scoring 175 points and allowing 140 points defensively (+35). The Tigers have gone 1-2 at home and 3-1 on the road this season and come into this matchup off a 36-20 round 6 win over the Cowboys and a 34-6 round 7 win over the Bulldogs in Sunday. Tommy Talau and David Nofoaluma led the way to victory by scoring two tries apiece while Harry Grant, Joseph Leilua and Adam Doueihi all added scoring tries in the win. For this matchup, prop Russell Packer is available after serving his suspension for a careless high tackle.
Why Bet On The Panthers
Penrith is sitting in third place in the NRL standings with 11 points, just two points behind league-leading Parramatta and second place Brisbane. The Panthers have scored 143 points this season while allowing 98 points defensively (+45). Penrith has gone a perfect 4-0 at home this season and 1-1 on the road. For round 8, Josh Mansour is expected to return from a knee injury.
General Match Info Penrith Panthers (4-1-1) vs. Wests Tigers (3-0-3)
- When: Saturday, July 4, 2020 at 4:35 AM AEST
- Where: Bankwest Stadium, Sydney
- Panthers Vs Wests Tigers Live: Nine/Fox Sports
- Handicap: Panthers -4.5
- Money Lines: Tigers +154 / Panthers -192
Expert Analysis and Prediction
The Wests Tigers recorded a stunning 30-4 home win the last time these two rivals met on May 10, 2019, but prior to that, the Panthers had won four straight while limiting the Tigers to an identical two points in two of those victories.
While the Tigers have the more explosive offense in this matchup, the Panthers are by far, the more sound defensive club in this pairing and I genuinely believe that their superior defense will be what leads Penrith to the hard-fought road win in round 8.
Pick: Panthers 24 Wests Tigers 18
Telstra Premiership 2020 Round 8 Matches
- Dragons vs Raiders – Friday 3rd July, 04:00 AM | GIO Stadium, Canberra
- Cowboys vs Eels – Friday 3rd July, 05:55 AM | Bankwest Stadium, Sydney
- Sharks vs Titans – Friday 3rd July, 01:00 AM | Cbus Super Stadium, Gold Coast
- Broncos vs Warriors – Saturday 4th July, 03:30 AM | Central Coast Stadium, Central Coast
- Roosters vs Storm – Thursday 2nd July, 05:50 AM | Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane
- Knights vs Sea Eagles – Sunday 5tht July, 02:05 AM | Lottoland, Sydney
- Rabbitohs vs Bulldogs – Sunday 5th July, 04:30 AM | Bankwest Stadium, Sydney