In modern sports, there is a problem that we never really saw much of in the days before salaries made players multi-millionaires overnight. We are, of course, talking about the issues that make the headlines off the field or court. Modern players have made a habit of making headlines for all the wrong reasons, creating a distraction that can often have a ripple effect that runs all the way through the entire organization.
One of the most common off-court issues is the demand to be traded, which is a situation that the New Orleans Pelicans currently find themselves in with star player Anthony Davis. He has made it clear that he wants out of the Big Easy, but with nothing now set to happen before the end of the season, it is going to be interesting to see what happens on the court from this point forward. The next look at the Pelicans situation will come on Thursday night when they welcome the Oklahoma City Thunder to town. The Thunder are in as a 5.5-point road favorite, with the point total for this one set at 235 ½.
Thunder vs Pelicans NBA Betting Spread & Game Analysis
Taking care of business before the break.🎥// Today’s Practice Report pic.twitter.com/DQs8Kl2y1X — OKC THUNDER (@okcthunder) 13 de febrero de 2019
- When: Thursday, February 14 at 8 PM EST
- Where: Smoothie King Center, New Orleans
- TV: TNT
- Live Stream: NBA League Pass
- NBA Odds: Oklahoma City Thunder -5.5 (Total 235.5)
Why bet on the Oklahoma City Thunder?
This will be the final game before the All-Star Break for the Thunder, and you have to feel that they will be happy with what they have achieved to this point. OKC is currently sitting with a 37-19 record that has them comfortably in the #3 spot in the Western Conference, just 3 ½ games back of the Golden State Warriors at the top.
The Thunder might be a little disappointed that the break is coming given that they are playing some of their best basketball of the season at the moment. They come into this one on a 4-game win streak and have now won 9 of their last 10 games. The Thunder have won 2 of the 3 meetings versus the Pelicans this season, but that lone loss came on the road in New Orleans. OKC is a healthy 17-12 ATS on the road this season and 11-9 ATS as a road favorite.
- Total Score: 115.30
- Field Goal Percentage: 46.21
- Three-Point Percentage: 35.53
- Free Throw Percentage: 71.51
- Total Rebounds: 47.96
- Total Score: 109.80
- Field Goal Percentage: 45.70
- Three-Point Percentage: 34.47
- Free Throw Percentage: 75.64
- Total Rebounds: 45.20
Why bet on the New Orleans Pelicans?
While you never like to see a player demand a trade in the middle of the season, you can certainly understand why Anthony Davis might be frustrated. He has been the only real highlight for the Pelicans this season, averaging 28 points and 13 rebounds per game for a team that is currently sitting 8 games below .500 and 6 ½ games back of the final playoff spot in the Western Conference.
The Pelicans come into this one on a 2-game losing skid and have now picked up just 3 wins in their last 10 games. If there is a bright spot to be found, it’s that they are not an easy out playing at home, where they are currently 16-11. The Pelicans are 13-14 ATS at home this season, but they have been a better bet as a home underdog, going 5-3 ATS in those games.
- Total Score: 115.34
- Field Goal Percentage: 47.63
- Three-Point Percentage: 34.61
- Free Throw Percentage: 77.30
- Total Rebounds: 46.93
- Total Score: 114.71
- Field Goal Percentage: 46.25
- Three-Point Percentage: 36.72
- Free Throw Percentage: 75.47
- Total Rebounds: 44.71
Thunder vs Pelicans NBA Betting Trends
- Oklahoma City is 5-1 ATS in its last 6 games on the road
- Oklahoma City is 5-1 SU in its last 6 games on the road
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Oklahoma City’s last 5 games on the road
- New Orleans is 2-4 ATS in its last 6 games at home
- New Orleans is 1-5 SU in its last 6 games at home
- The total has gone UNDER in 10 of New Orleans’s last 14 games at home
Expert Pick & Final Score Prediction
The Thunder are on a fabulous run of form at the moment and it seems tough to imagine them losing to a Pelicans team that appears to be in a bit of disarray. I have them winning and covering in New Orleans.
Score: Oklahoma City Thunder 119 – New Orleans Pelicans 112