We will never really know all of the elements that go into creating the rankings in college sports. While sports like football and basketball are ranked based solely on wins and losses, things get a little trickier in the college game. One thing that we do know for sure is that strength of schedule is very much an important consideration for those who vote on the rankings. It’s why you will see a 1 or 2-loss team sitting a few ranking points ahead of a team that has gone unbeaten on the season. It’s all about who you beat or, perhaps more importantly, who you lose to.
Just as a team is not going to get high marks for beating a lesser opponent, they are not going to get too badly dinged for losing to a ranked foe. It is going to be interesting to see how high the unbeaten Auburn Tigers can climb once they start playing better opponents. They will have one such opponent on Thursday night when the NC State Wolfpack come to town. The Tigers are in as a 7 ½ point favorite, with the point total set at 152 ½.
NC State vs Auburn College Basketball Odds, Game Info & Pick
- When: Thursday, December 19 at 9 PM EST
- Where: Auburn Arena, Auburn
- TV: ESPN2
- Radio: SiriusXM
- Live Stream: WatchESPN
- College Basketball Odds: Auburn -7.5 (Total 152.5)
Why bet on the NC State Wolfpack?The NC State Wolfpack may not have a ranked number sitting beside their name right now, but this is certainly not a team that you should automatically be writing off. The Wolfpack are coming into this one with a very respectable 8-2 record on the season and a modest 3-game win streak under their belts.
On the negative side of things, the Wolfpack have only had one other game against a ranked opponent this season, a game that they lost 83-78 to the Memphis Tigers in a neutral site matchup. That game aside, NC State has picked up wins in both of their road games this season. The Wolfpack are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games and a perfect 6-0 ATS in their last 6 gams played on the road.
- Total Score: 82.50
- Field Goal Percentage: 48.10
- Three-Point Percentage: 37.56
- Free Throw Percentage: 74.73
- Total Rebounds: 34.30
- Total Score: 70.60
- Field Goal Percentage: 43.89
- Three-Point Percentage: 36.32
- Free Throw Percentage: 68.65
- Total Rebounds: 35.60
Why bet on the Auburn Tigers?You do have to admire the fact that the Auburn Tigers are coming into this game sporting a perfect 9-0 record on the season, but you also need to understand that their strength of schedule has not been particularly challenging. They have had a couple of close calls along the way, the most recent of which was am 81-78 OT win over Furman in a game that the Tigers stated as a 12 ½ point favorite.
December has been a very good month for the Tigers over the past few seasons, a they are 14-1 SU in their last 15 games played in that month. Auburn is 14-6 ATS in their last 20 games overall and 9-4 ATS in their last 13 games played on a Thursday night.
- Total Score: 83.00
- Field Goal Percentage: 46.88
- Three-Point Percentage: 33.61
- Free Throw Percentage: 63.35
- Total Rebounds: 43.00
- Total Score: 67.11
- Field Goal Percentage: 40.46
- Three-Point Percentage: 29.50
- Free Throw Percentage: 67.97
- Total Rebounds: 35.22
NC State vs Auburn College Basketball Betting Trends
- Wolf Pack State are 6-1 SU in their last 7 games against an opponent in the Southeastern conference
- Wolf Pack are 8-1 ATS in their last 9 games played in December
- The total has gone OVER in 5 of North Carolina State’s last 6 games played on a Thursday
- Tigers are 14-1 SU in their last 15 games played in December
- Tigers are 9-4 ATS in their last 13 games played on a Thursday
- The total has gone OVER in 6 of Auburn’s last 6 games at home
Expert Pick & Final Score Prediction for NC State vs AuburnIn their two previous meetings with the NC State Wolfpack, the Tigers have come out on the losing end of things. I don’t believe that will be the case here, though, as I like Auburn to win and cover the spread on Thursday night.
Score: NC State Wolfpack 66 – Auburn Tigers 82