The battle for playoff spots continues to go on at the same time as we are beginning to see some teams officially eliminated from playoff contention. To this point, no teams have officially clinched, although we can safely say that a handful will be taking art in the postseason. There is only one team, the Detroit Red Wings, that have been officially eliminated, but there are many more on the brink. With teams down to their last dozen or so games in the regular season, we will begin to see eliminations and playoff spots clinched with each passing day. Monday night will see a pair of teams on the opposite side of that coin go head to head, with the Washington Capitals heading to Buffalo to face the Sabres. The Capitals will be in the postseason and are trying to maintain their spot atop the Metropolitan Division, while the Buffalo Sabres are probably just a couple more losses away from seeing their playoff push come to an end. Given how things are going for these teams, you would expect the Capitals to win this one, with the bookie agreeing with that thought. The Capitals are favored by 1 ½, with the goal total set at 6 ½. Let’s see how the NHL odds will be for the Capitals vs Sabres.
Capitals vs Sabres 2020 NHL Game Preview & Betting Odds
- When: Monday, March 9 at 7 PM EST
- Where: KeyBank Center, Buffalo
- TV: ESPN+
- TV Channel:NBC Sports Washington
- Live Stream: NBC Sports Washington’s live stream page, NBC Sports MyTeams App.
- Radio: Caps 24/7 Radio, 106.7 The Fan FM
- NHL Odds: Washington Capitals -1.5 / Total 6.5
Why bet on the Washington Capitals
The Washington Capitals are sitting at the top of the Metropolitan Division, but they are there by the skin of their teeth. They and the Philadelphia Flyers are tied on 89 points, but with the Flyers on a run that has seen them win 9 in a row, that lead is far from safe for Washington. It certainly doesn’t help that the Capitals have been playing .500 hockey of late, going 4-4-2 in their last 10 games. On the positive side of things, they have dominated the Sabres in recent seasons, going 8-2-0 in their last 10 meetings with Buffalo. They pounded the Sabres in their only other meeting this season, winning that one 6-1. Washington comes into this game with an 18-10-5 record on home ice.
- Goals: 3.5
- Shots: 31.94
- PP/PK Percentage: 19.07
- Goals: 3.12
- Shots: 30.28
- PP/PK Percentage: 17.23
Why bet on the Buffalo Sabres
For a while this season, it looked as though the Buffalo Sabres were about to make a breakthrough, but the second half of the season has proven to be a bit of a disaster for them. The Sabres have been sliding for the past couple of months and are now a couple of games below .500 at 29-31-8 on the season. It’s a skid that has proven to be impossible for them to break out of, as they come into this one on a 6-game losing skid that has taken them to 3-7-0 in their last 10 games. If there is a positive to be taken from all if this, it’s that the Sabres have actually been quite good in their own building, going 19-11-4 on the season on home ice. They have won 4 of their last 5 there, so maybe we should not count them out.
- Goals: 2.82
- Shots: 29.34
- PP/PK Percentage: 18.65
- Goals: 3.16
- Shots: 31.04
- PP/PK Percentage: 25.41
Capitals vs Sabres NHL Betting Trends
- The total has gone OVER in 6 of Washington’s last 7 games.
- Washington are 5-1 SU in their last 6 games against Buffalo.
- Washington are 2-5 SU in their last 7 games on the road.
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Washington’s last 5 games this season.
- The total has gone OVER in 9 of Washington’s last 10 games against an opponent in the Eastern Conference conference.
- Buffalo are 0-6 SU in their last 6 games.
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Buffalo’s last 5 games against Washington.
- Buffalo are 4-1 SU in their last 5 games at home.
- Buffalo are 0-5 SU in their last 5 games this season.
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Buffalo’s last 6 games against an opponent in the Eastern Conference conference.
Capitals vs Sabres Expert Pick and Final Score Prediction
As good as the Sabres have been at home this season, they are on a run that is about as bad as it gets. They were totally overpowered in their last meeting with the Capitals, and while I expect a closer game here, I still think Washington win and cover.
Buffalo Sabres 2 Washington Capitals 5