In a regular season as long as we see in the NHL, there is very often a fine line between making the playoffs and sitting at home watching while other teams battle it out for the Stanley Cup. Historical data shows us that the average number of points needed to make it into the postseason is 95. If that holds true again this season, then there are teams who have some work to do in the final 15 games or so. The race for those playoff spots is really beginning to heat up now, with a logjam beginning to develop at the playoff line. This is especially true in the Western Conference, where there are 5 teams within a point of one another vying for just 2 spots. The Arizona Coyotes are one of the teams stuck in that 5-team pile, but they are currently sitting below the playoff line. It goes without saying that they need wins in a big way, but they will have a tough one ahead of them on Friday night, as they will be in Calgary to face their division rivals, the Flames. Calgary is favored by 1 ½ on home ice, with the goal total set at 5 ½. Let’s see how the NHL odds will be for the Coyotes vs Flames.
Coyotes vs Flames 2020 NHL Game Preview & Betting Odds
- When: Friday, March 6 at 9 PM EST
- Where: Scotiabank Saddledome, Calgary
- NHL Odds: Calgary Flames -1.5 / Total 5.5
Why bet on the Arizona Coyotes
While the Coyotes are down below the playoff line, there really is no reason for them to panic just yet. A win tonight could potentially vault them back into a playoff spot, plus, with the race so tight, they would also just be 1 point out of 3rd in the Pacific Division with that win. The good news for the Coyotes is that they are looking as though they are about to break out of a bit of a slump. They are 5-4-1 in their last 10 games, but that included back to back wins ahead of this one. On the downside of things, the Coyotes have dropped 2 of 3 to the Flames this season, including a loss the last time they were in Calgary. Overall, Arizona is 16-15-4 on the road this season.
- Goals: 2.81
- Shots: 31.59
- PP/PK Percentage: 19.62
- Goals: 2.65
- Shots: 32.31
- PP/PK Percentage: 17.28
Why bet on the Calgary Flames
The Calgary Flames won the Pacific Division and finished as the #1 seed in the Western Conference last season, but they look unlikely to repeat that double this year. They are still in touch with Vegas at the top of the division, sitting 5 points off the pace, but this Flames team has been horribly inconsistent all season long. They have been good of late, though, and have gone 6-3-1 in their last 10 games, which includes wins in each of their last 2. Surprisingly, the Flames have struggled a little at home, going 15-12-4 there, which is 5 fewer wins than they have on the road this season. They have been a poor bet against the spread on home ice, going 9-22 ATS in those games.
- Goals: 3
- Shots: 31.68
- PP/PK Percentage: 20.74
- Goals: 3.06
- Shots: 32.44
- PP/PK Percentage: 17.71
Coyotes vs Flames NHL Betting Trends
- Arizona are 2-5 SU in their last 7 games against Calgary.
- Arizona are 2-10 SU in their last 12 games on the road.
- Arizona are 1-4 SU in their last 5 games when playing on the road against Calgary.
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Arizona’s last 6 games against an opponent in the Western Conference conference.
- The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Arizona’s last 6 games played in March.
- The total has gone OVER in 10 of Calgary’s last 13 games.
- Calgary are 4-2 SU in their last 6 games.
- The total has gone OVER in 5 of Calgary’s last 7 games against Arizona.
- Calgary are 2-6 SU in their last 8 games at home.
- Calgary are 4-1 SU in their last 5 games when playing at home against Arizona.
Coyotes vs Flames Expert Pick and Final Score Prediction
While the Flames have not been particularly great in their own building, their come from behind win over Columbus the other night is perhaps a sign that they are ready to turn the corner. I am on the Flames to win a close one.
Arizona Coyotes 2 Calgary Flames 3