There are 2 weeks left in the MLS regular season, and the race for a playoff spot in the Western Conference could not be any tighter for soccer betting fans. FC Dallas, LA Galaxy, and the Vancouver Whitecaps have all booked their tickets, but there are still 6 teams with a chance, however slight, of picking up the remaining 3 places. Let’s take a look at what each of those teams has to do to get in.
Sporting KC are in 4th place with 48 points, and with 3 games to play, they have the best shot at getting in. They host the San Joes Earthquakes on Friday in a game that has huge playoff implications. They then close out the season with 2 games on the road at last place Colorado and then Los Angeles. I like them to get in to the postseason, and 4 points should be enough.
The team under the most pressure of the chasing pack has to be the Seattle Sounders. This is a team loaded with high-priced talent, yet they continue to underachieve. Their final 2 games are against playoff hopefuls. They begin with a road trip to Houston and close out at home against Real Salt Lake. Both of those teams are out with another dropped point, so you have to favor Seattle to get the job done.
The Portland Timbers occupy the 6th and final playoff spot right now, and they got there with a huge win on Wednesday night in Salt Lake, which we predicted here. The Timbers travel to LA to face the Galaxy on Sunday, and then close out at home against Colorado a week later. If they can pick up a point in LA, and then put away the Rapids at home, they should make it into the postseason.
The San Jose Earthquakes have perhaps the toughest finish to the season of all the teams in this pack. The welcome in Sporting KC this weekend, and then have to go on the road to face Western Conference FC Dallas, who still have a legitimate shot at the Supporter’s Shield for the best overall record in the MLS. I don’t like their chances.
Real Salt Lake and the Houston Dynamo are both on 41 points, and 6 points off the final playoff spot. They would both have to win their final 2 games and hope that a few others slipped up. Both are still alive mathematically, but the reality is that they are essentially already done.
Sports & Betting Topics
Latest News, Tips & Expert Picks
- European Leagues Betting Update: Bayern Shows They Still Rule the Bundesliga
- UEFA Europa League Betting Analysis for Matchday 3
- UEFA Champions League Betting Analysis: Liverpool vs Atletico Madrid Highlights Matchday 3 Action
- Top 2021 MLS Matches to Bet On: Seattle Visits Colorado and Wants Revenge
- Top 2021 MLS Matches to Bet On: Playoffs Are Getting Closer
- FIFA World Cup Qualifiers Odds – CONMEBOL Matches To Bet On Oct. 14th
- European Leagues Betting Update: Napoli Leads Serie A, Three LaLiga Teams Tied In 1st and More
- FIFA World Cup Qualifiers – CONCACAF Games To Bet On: USA vs Costa Rica Wednesday’s Top Match
- FIFA World Cup Qualifiers Odds – UEFA Matches To Bet On Oct. 12th
- FIFA World Cup: CONCACAF Qualifying Games: 10/10 Betting Previews
- FIFA World Cup: CONMEBOL Qualifying Games: 10/10 Betting Previews
- FIFA World Cup Qualifying Games : 10/9 Games – Analysis & Picks for Saturday’s UEFA Qualifiers
- FIFA World Cup Qualifying Games : 10/8 Games – UEFA Teams on the Road to the 2022 World Cup
- FIFA World Cup Qualifying Games : CONCACAF 10/7 Games – USA & Mexico Fighting for 1st Place
- Top 2021 MLS Games to Bet On the Week