Two teams hoping to move to a second-round game on Saturday clash in Thursday’s Round 1 when Big East squad Creighton throws down against Mountain West power San Diego State. The Bluejays fell to Villanova in an exciting Big East Tournament final. The Aztecs lost to Boise State, 52-53, by a point in the MWC Tournament Final. Which conference tournament runner up gets it done on March 17? Check out March Madness Odds, analysis, and a free pick for San Diego State versus Creighton.
Men’s College Basketball Midwest Region: #9 Creighton vs #8 San Diego State
Creighton Bluejays versus San Diego State Aztecs Betting Info
- When: Thursday, March 17 at 7:27 pm ET
- Where: Dickies Arena, Ft. Worth, TX
- TV/Streaming: truTV
- Spread Odds: San Diego State -2 ½
- Moneyline Odds: Creighton +120 / San Diego State -140
- Total Odds: O 119 ½ -110 / U 119 ½ -110
Why bet on 8-San Diego State versus 9-Creighton?
The Aztecs send one of the best defenses in college basketball to the court. San Diego State allows 58.3 points per game, ranking second in the nation. The field goal percentage allowed, 37.9%, ranks fourth, while the three-point defense, 30.6%, ranks in the top 45. SDSU runs a half-court offense designed to cut down on opponent possessions and lead to high-percentage shots. If required, the Aztecs can hit a three as evidenced by their team 3-point percentage of 35.6.
San Diego State Aztecs Offensive Averages
- Points/G: 66.3
- FG %: 43.5
- 3PT %: 35.6
- FT %: 69.7
- Rebounds/G: 32.1
San Diego State Aztecs Defensive Averages
- Points/G: 58.3
- FG %: 37.9
- 3PT %: 30.6
- FT %: 68.7
- Rebounds/G: 29.9
Why bet on 9-Creighton versus 8-San Diego State?
Creighton had an up and down regular season. In the Big East Tournament, though, the Bluejays rocked. Creighton beat and covered versus Marquette in a 74-63 game. The Bluejays dominated higher-seeded Providence 85-58 as a +2.5 dog. Villanova beat Creighton for the Big East Tourney title, but it was by just 6 points. The Bluejays can play any style required to win, including a slowdown, defensive game.
Creighton Bluejays Offensive Averages
- Points/G: 69.0
- FG %: 45.1
- 3PT %: 31.0
- FT %: 72.4
- Rebounds/G: 35.4
Creighton Bluejays Defensive Averages
- Points/G: 66.7
- FG %: 40.0
- 3PT %: 32.7
- FT %: 72.2
- Rebounds/G: 32.3
8-San Diego State vs 9-Creighton Betting Trends
- Bluejays are 4-0 ATS in their last 4 games as an underdog
- Creighton is 9-2 ATS in their last 11 games
- Under is 5-1 in the Bluejays’ last 6 games
- Aztecs are 7-3 ATS in their last 10 games
- San Diego State is 9-3 ATS in their last 12 games versus a team with a percentage above .600
- Under is 20-6 in the Aztecs’ last 26 games at a neutral site
8-San Diego State vs 9-Creighton Betting Analysis
This should be a terrific matchup. Both teams show enough positives to attract money.
At the end, though, the Aztecs’ moneyline is the play. Creighton is a good squad for sure, but the Bluejays have yet to face a defense as stifling as San Diego State’s.
Creighton scored just 48 points in the loss to Villanova in the Big East Tournament Final. So even though the Bluejays can win a slow, defensive struggle, they’d much prefer to run and gun.
SDSU is as patient as the team that beat them in the MWC Tournament, the Boise State Broncos. The Aztecs will frustrate Creighton into bad shots and force the Bluejays to play their style. This one should be close, but at the end, much like what Villanova did, the team that asserts their style will win and that should be SDSU.
NCAAM Pick: San Diego State Aztecs
College Basketball Betting Center
NCAAB Odds and Lines
|March Madness Odds|
|NIT | CIT | CBI|
Latest College Basketball News:
- Final Four Odds, Picks, Betting Lines and Prediction: FAU vs San Diego State, Miami vs UConn
- NIT Championship Odds for Final Game: UAB vs North Texas Betting Picks and Prediction
- College Basketball Championship 2023 Odds, Lines and Prediction Update
- Great College Basketball Betting Picks for NIT’s Semifinals
- Elite Eight March Madness Odds: Miami vs. Texas Betting Analysis & Prediction