Two of the season’s more consistent programs will meet in the sweet 16 on Friday evening when Xavier and Texas lock horns. Both teams were fixtures in the top 25 over the course of the season and have held true to their seed lines thus far. Texas, the number two seed, opened as a (-4) favorite, and that line has remained unchanged, which is also the case when it comes to the total of 148.5 points. The Longhorns are juiced on the moneyline at -193 while the Musketeers are paying out at +168 for a straight-up victory.
The contest is scheduled for a 9:30 PM EST tip-off from the T-Mobile Center in Kansas City, MO, and will be broadcast on CBS.
We will now preview the game plus our March Madness Sweet 16 betting prediction, analysis, and a free pick for Xavier vs Texas game.
2023 March Madness Sweet 16 Game
No. 3 Xavier Musketeers vs. No. 2 Texas Longhorns Betting Preview
Xavier of Big East meets Texas of Big 12 in NCAA Tourney Sweet 16
ATS Odds: Texas -4
Moneyline Odds: Xavier +151 / Texas -188
Over/Under Odds: 139 -110
When: Friay, March 24 at 7:45 pm ET
Where: T-Mobile Center, Kansas City, MO
TV / Streaming: CBS
Why Bet on No. 3 Xavier versus No. 2 Texas?
While the Xavier Musketeers were a consistent team throughout the season, they were not the same team following the injury to star forward Zach Freemantle. In fact, their most impressive victory since the injury occurred did not come in this tournament, it came in their conference tournament against Creighton when they dismantled the Bluejays by 22 points. Their road to the sweet 16 has been the easiest of the remaining clubs, having defeated Kennesaw State and Pittsburgh though a loss to Kennesaw State seemed imminent for roughly 37 minutes of game time.
The loss of Freemantle has been mitigated by the emergence of Jerome Hunter. Hunter has been terrific if inconsistent, and is averaging 19 points and five rebounds thus far in the tournament. Hunter’s upgrade, along with timely plays from point guard Souley Boum on the offensive end and Jack Nunge on the defensive end, is what has led the Musketeers to the second weekend.
Sean Miller’s club has limited both opponents to fewer than a point per possession thus far in the tournament. However, what they have faced thus far in the tournament and in recent weeks in Big East play is a far cry from what they are facing on Friday evening.
Xavier Musketeers Offensive Averages
- Points/G: 81.2
- FG %: 55.4
- 3PT%: 37.2
- FT %: 78.0
- Rebounds/G: 32.1
Xavier Musketeers Defensive Averages
- Points/G: 73.8
- FG %: 50.1
- 3PT%: 33.1
- FT %: 74.7
- Rebounds/G: 28.8
Why Bet on No. 2 Texas versus No. 3 Xavier?
The Texas Longhorns are a team to be admired this season as they have dealt with a revamped roster and the loss of their coach to earn a position on the second seed line and are now a part of the second weekend. Coach Rodney Terry has coached the Horns to a 21-7 record since taking over including a Big XII tournament championship. If he has not done enough to warrant being named Chris Beard’s permanent replacement, one cannot fathom what the administration is seeking as the solution.
This Texas group has a certain chemistry on offense that simply was not evident on last season’s star-studded roster. This team boasts five players averaging at least 9.1 points contest on its roster, and that doesn’t include impact players such as Christian Bishop and Dillion Mitchell who have the ability to impact the game in multiple aspects. Sir’Jabari Rice drilled seven three-point attempts in the first round to lead them, while Dylan Disu, their fifth-leading scorer, led the Horns with 28 points in the second-round defeat of Penn State.
Texas Longhorns Offensive Averages
- Points/G: 77.8
- FG %: 53.0
- 3PT%: 20.9
- FT %: 75.2
- Rebounds/G: 34.4
Texas Longhorns Defensive Averages
- Points/G: 67.2
- FG %: 47.8
- 3PT%: 19.9
- FT %: 72.6
- Rebounds/G: 34.7
Xavier vs Texas Betting Trends
- Texas is 18-17-0 against the spread this season.
- In games it has played as 4-point favorites or more, Texas has an ATS record of 10-11.
- This season, Texas’ games have hit the over 16 times out of 36 chances.
- So far this year, Xavier has compiled a 17-15-0 record against the spread.
- Xavier has a 5-5 record against the spread while going 7-3 overall over its last 10 contests.
- Four of the Musketeers’ past 10 contests have gone over the total.
- The Musketeers put up an average of 81.2 points per game, 14 more points than the 67.2 the Longhorns give up to opponents.
- Xavier has put together a 15-8 ATS record and a 23-4 overall record in games it scores more than 67.2 points.
- Texas has gone 7-3 in its past 10 contests, with a 7-3 record against the spread in that span.
- In their past 10 contests, the Longhorns have gone over the total twice.
Xavier Musketeers vs Texas Longhorns Betting Odds and Prediction
What Xavier has done in the absence of Freemantle is commendable but this Longhorns team is going to come at the Musketeers in waves. Having witnessed Sean Miller’s group struggle with consistency since their star forwards injury likely means their season end on Friday evening with a Longhorns cover.
March Madness Pick: Texas Covers | Bet Xavier vs Texas Today
MyBookie Betting Lines for the Game
Texas vs. Penn State Second Round NCAA Tournament
I have read enough, I need to place my bet now. What to do?
Bet College Baskatball Today
MyBookie Betting Lines for the Game
College Basketball Betting Center
NCAAB Odds and Lines
|March Madness Odds|
|NIT | CIT | CBI|
Latest College Basketball News:
- Purdue Boilermakers and NCAA Basketball Early Odds: Five Returning Starters
- Florida Atlantic and NCAA Basketball Early Odds: Key Players Return
- San Diego State vs UConn Odds and Lines: NCAA Basketball National Championship 2023
- NCAA National Championship Betting Prediction: San Diego State vs. UConn
- Final Four Odds, Picks, Betting Lines and Prediction: FAU vs San Diego State, Miami vs UConn