One of the benefits of winning a division in the MLB is that teams get to have a little bit of a break before the craziness of the postseason begins. It may only be a few days, but it’s often enough to get the batteries recharged just enough to face the battles that lie ahead. It’s also an opportunity to get one more look at the potential ALDS opponent, with the winner of the Wild Card Game facing the #1 seed in the next round.
While all the advantages would seem to fall in favor of the top seed, there is something to be said about playing in and winning the Wild Card Game, as the winner has already tasted playoff baseball and got up to the speed and excitement of the postseason. The Tampa Bay Rays will be hoping that their road win over Oakland in the WC will serve them well when they hit the road to face the Houston Astros in Game 1 of the ALDS on Friday night. The Astros are favored by 1 ½ at home, with the run total set at 7.
Rays vs Astros 2019 ALDS Game 1 Odds, Game Info & Prediction
- When: Friday, October 4 at 2:05 PM EST
- Where: Minute Maid Park, Houston
- Starting Pitchers: Glasnow vs. Verlander
- TV: FS1
- Radio: SiriusXM
- Live Stream: MLB.tv
- MLB Odds: Houston Astros -1.5 (Total 7.5)
- Sunny: 32°C/90°F
- Humidity: 49%
- Precipitation: 0%
- Cloud Cover: 16%
- Wind: 6 mph ENE
- Stadium Type: Retractable
Why bet on the Tampa Bay Rays?
When the Rays lost the final 2 games of the regular season, there was some concern that they might have a problem going into Oakland and getting the win in the Wild card. They put that notion to rest early, playing the long ball to get out to an early 4-0 lead before cruising to a 5-1 win. The Rays have one of the best bullpens in baseball, so getting out to that lead gives them an incredible advantage.
They are, though, going to have a tougher time making that happen against a team as good as the Houston Astros. Tampa Bay went 48-33 on the road in the regular season and were actually good against the Astros, winning the regular season series 4-3. The Rays will start Tyler Glasnow (6-1, 1.78 ERA) in Game 1.
- Runs: 4.73
- Hits: 8.79
- Walks: 3.35
- Strike Outs: 9.20
- Runs: 4.05
- Hits: 7.88
- Walks: 2.78
- Strike Outs: 9.99
Why bet on the Houston Astros?
The Houston Astros ended the regular season with the best record in baseball, going 107-55, one win better than the LA Dodgers. That record was enough to secure them home field advantage through the postseason, which is absolutely huge when you consider that Houston were 60-21 in their own ballpark this season.
Rather than taking their foot off the gas coming down the stretch, Houston actually seemed to get better, going 8-2 in their last 1o games, which included a run of 3 straight wins to close out the year. As a home favorite this season, the Astros went 44-36 ATS, while also covering in 6 of their last 7 games on the season. Houston will hand the ball to potential Cy Young candidate Justin Verlander (21-6, 2.58 ERA).
- Runs: 5.68
- Hits: 9.49
- Walks: 3.98
- Strike Outs: 7.20
- Runs: 3.95
- Hits: 7.45
- Walks: 2.77
- Strike Outs: 10.31
Rays vs Astros ALDS Game 1 Betting Trends
- Astros are 4-1 SU in their last 5 games at home
- The total has gone OVER in 9 of Houston’s last 13 games when playing at home against Tampa Bay
- Rays are 6-0 SU in their last 6 games played in October
- Rays are 7-3 SU in their last 10 games against Houston
- The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Tampa Bay’s last 6 games
Expert Pick & Final Score Prediction for Rays vs Astros
There are several things that point to a Houston win here, including their home record, the pitching matchup, and their playoff experience. With all of that in mind, I am on the Astros to get the win in Game 1.
Score: Tampa Bay Rays 2 – Houston Astros 4
More MLB Playoffs Betting News
- MLB Rumors: White Sox Will Try To Trade Kimbrel; Boone Staying With Yankees?
- Dodgers vs Giants: 2021 MLB Betting Lines | NLDS Game 5 Winner Take All
- MLB World Series Betting Update: 2021 Playoffs Teams Still On the Run
- Astros vs. White Sox MLB | ALDS Game 4
- Giants vs. Dodgers MLB | 2021 NLDS Game 3
- NL Division Series Game 1: Braves vs Brewers | Start of Playoffs MLB
- MLB World Series Betting Update: Possible Matchups
- AL Division Series Game 1: White Sox at Astros | MLB Game Preview
- MLB Rumors: Who Will Be Next Mets Manager?
- NL Wild Card Game Cardinals vs. Dodgers | MLB Betting Odds & Picks
- AL Wild Card Game: Yankees at Red Sox | MLB Betting Analysis & Prediction
- Red Sox vs Nationals MLB | Washington Can Play Spoiler
- MLB Rumors: Giants Likely Will Not Have HR Leader For Playoffs
- Yankees vs Blue Jays MLB | Stellar Pitching Matchup