Prior to the start of every NBA season, we all have a clear idea of how we think things should play out. Things seldom have a way of going exactly as you imagined, though, and it’s not until the teams hit the court that we get a true idea of what we are really looking at. One of the things that can tend to throw our predictions in the garbage is how teams will react to brining in new, big-name players in the offseason.
It some cases, it instantly makes a team a legitimate contender, while in others, it can upset the apple cart just a little. The reality is that going big in free agency is absolutely zero guarantee that the money being spent, and the players being acquired will prove to be a good move.
The moves that the Los Angeles Lakers made certainly appear to be bearing fruit, while the jury is still very much out on the Houston Rockets at the moment. These two teams will hook up at the Staples Center on Thursday night and according to the NBA betting lines, the Lakers in as an 8-point favorite. The point total for this one is set at 237.
Rockets vs Lakers 2020 NBA Spread, Game Info & Expert Preview
NBA Power Rankings & Tiers 1. Milwaukee Bucks (42-7) . 2. LA Lakers (37-11) 3. LA Clippers (34-15) . 4. Toronto Raptors (36-14) 5. Boston Celtics (33-15) 6. Denver Nuggets (34-16) 7. Utah Jazz (32-17) 8. Miami Heat (33-15) 9. Indiana Pacers (31-18) 10. Houston Rockets (31-18)— IKE Bucks (@IKE_Bucks) February 3, 2020
- When: Thursday, February 6 at 10:30 PM EST
- Where: Staples Center Los Angeles, CA
- TV: NBA League Pass
- Radio: Rockets / Lakers
- NBA Odds: Boston -7½
- Total: 237
Why Bet on the Houston Rockets?
After going all out to land Russell Westbrook in the offseason, the Houston Rockets are perhaps not as high in the standings as they thought they would be. That is not to suggest that they have been really bad this season, but their 32-18 record and 4th spot in the Western Conference might be considered a little underwhelming by some. The good news is that Westbrook has been on fire of late, with the bad news being that he might miss this one with an injured thumb. In the 7 games that he has missed this season, the Rockets have gone 3-4 SU. They are currently on a 3-game winning streak, though, and have gone 6-4 in their last 10. On the negative side of things, the Rockets lost 124-115 at home in their earlier meeting with the Lakers this season.
Rockets 2020 NBA Betting Trends and Stats
- The total has gone OVER in 5 of Houston’s last 7 games.
- Houston are 4-1 SU in their last 5 games.
- Houston are 2-6 ATS in their last 8 games against LA Lakers.
- Houston are 13-4 SU in their last 17 games against LA Lakers.
- Houston are 2-7 ATS in their last 9 games on the road.
- Houston are 9-2 SU in their last 11 games when playing on the road against LA Lakers.
- Houston are 6-2 SU in their last 8 games this season.
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Houston’s last 6 games against an opponent in the Western conference.
- Houston are 14-6 ATS in their last 20 games against an opponent in the Pacific division.
- Total Score: 118.80
- Field Goal %: 45.24
- Three Point %: 34.81
- Free Throw %: 78.27
- Total Rebounds: 46.26
- Total Score: 72.19
- Field Goal %: 44.51
- Three Point %: 36.70
- Free Throw %: 67.81
- Total Rebounds: 36.62
Why Bet on the Los Angeles Lakers?
The LA Lakers continue to maintain a lead at the top of the Western Conference, sitting 3 games up on the LA Clippers, but recent distractions have them losing a little bit of ground to their rivals. The Lakers come into this one on the heels of back to back wins, but they are 6-4 in their last 10 games, and while that is certainly not a poor record, it s off the pace that we have been used to seeing them winning at this season. On thing that has not changed is that we tend to see scoring when the Lakers play, with 10 of their last 12 games going OVER the point total. They have also been dominant against conference foes, winning 9 of their last 10 games versus teams from the West.
Lakers 2020 NBA Betting Trends and Stats
- The total has gone OVER in 10 of LA Lakers’ last 12 games.
- LA Lakers are 14-4 SU in their last 18 games.
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of LA Lakers’ last 5 games against Houston.
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of LA Lakers’ last 5 games at home.
- LA Lakers are 2-9 SU in their last 11 games when playing at home against Houston.
- The total has gone OVER in 8 of LA Lakers’ last 10 games this season.
- LA Lakers are 9-1 SU in their last 10 games against an opponent in the Western conference.
- LA Lakers are 4-0-1 ATS in their last 5 games against an opponent in the Southwest division.
- LA Lakers are 13-7 ATS in their last 20 games played on a Thursday.
- Total Score: 114.29
- Field Goal %: 48.62
- Three Point %: 36.23
- Free Throw %: 73.59
- Total Rebounds: 46.06
- Total Score: 106.76
- Field Goal %: 44.31
- Three Point %: 34.30
- Free Throw %: 78.12
- Total Rebounds: 42.10
Rockets vs Lakers Expert Pick and Final Score Prediction
The Lakers seem to be rounding back into form after a minor blip in the radar, which could be bad news for the Rockets, especially if Russell Westbrook is unable to go. I like the Lakers to win and cover the spread on Thursday night.
Houston Rockets 113 – Los Angeles Lakers 125