It’s hard to believe that the Pittsburgh Steelers are on the cusp of a playoff berth. The Steelers start third-string quarterback Devlin Hodges. But here they are at 8-6 and ready to clock their ticket to the postseason. Will the Steelers beat and cover against the NY Jets on Sunday? Or, will the Jets throw a wrench into Pittsburgh’s post regular season plans? Check out the NFL odds, a preview and a free pick for Steelers vs Jets!
Steelers vs Jets 2019 NFL Week 16 Lines & Expert Analysis
- When: Sunday, Dec. 22 at 1:00 pm ET
- Where: MetLife Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ
- TV: CBS
- Live Stream: DirecTV Sunday Ticket
- ATS Odds: Steelers -3
- Over/Under Total Odds: 38 ½
- Mostly Sunny: 6°C/43°F
- Humidity: 67%
- Precipitation: 10%
- Wind: 6 mph W
- Cloud Cover: 29%
- Type of Stadium: Open
Why the Pittsburgh Steelers are a good bet -3?
There’s a reason Mike Tomlin is one of the best coaches in the NFL. After Ben Roethlisberger went down for the season with an injury, Tomlin didn’t complain. All he did was come up with a new strategy to ensure the Steelers remained competitive. That strategy leans on one of the stingiest defenses in the NFL. Jets quarterback Sam Darnold has talent. He doesn’t have enough to beat the Steelers’ defense.
- Total Yards: 285.7
- Passing Yards: 194.2
- Rushing Yards: 91.5
- Points Scored: 19.2
- Total Yards: 307.4
- Passing Yards: 204.1
- Rushing Yards: 103.2
- Points Allowed: 18.5
Why the New York Jets are a good bet +3?
The Jets couldn’t stop Baltimore’s offense in Week 15. Few teams can. There’s a positive, though. Even if the Ravens pummeled the Jets on the scoreboard, the Jets still posted 21 points. They face a less effective offense on Sunday. If the Jets can contain Pittsburgh’s vanilla offense, Sam Darnold and the Jets’ offense could take charge of this game.
- Total Yards: 274.1
- Passing Yards: 196.6
- Rushing Yards: 77.6
- Points Scored: 17.6
- Total Yards: 328.6
- Passing Yards: 239.9
- Rushing Yards: 88.8
- Points Allowed: 24.5
NFL Week 16 Betting Trends for Pittsburgh Steelers vs New York Jets
- Steelers are 9-3 ATS in their last 12 games
- Pittsburgh is 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games on the road
- Steelers are 5-2 ATS versus a team with a losing record
- Under is 5-1 in Steelers last 6 games as a favorite
- Jets are 3-8-1 ATS in their last 12 home games
- NYJ is 7-16-1 ATS in their last 24 games overall
- New York Jets are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 games following an ATS loss
- Over is 6-1 in Jets last 7 games following an ATS loss
Steelers vs Jets Final NFL Betting Analysis
The New York Jets have shown signs this season that they could turn into a decent football team. They won’t be as good as the Buffalo Bills in 2020. They might go 8-8 or 9-7, though. The main reason is Sam Darnold.
Although Pittsburgh has a much better record, nobody can argue that in this matchup Darnold is the better quarterback. He played well against Baltimore. Sam threw for 218 yards and 2 touchdowns.
But Darnold faces a much tougher defense on Sunday. Pittsburgh won’t give Darnold easy throws the way the Ravens did a few times in Week 15. Sam must make his own way. He won’t. What makes Devlin Hodges effective is that he doesn’t think outside the box. Tomlin wanted a quarterback that stuck to the game plan. Hodges sticks to the game plan.
Doing so should lead to another Steelers win and cover. At some point, Darnold makes a mistake, Pittsburgh capitalizes and puts this game out of reach.
NFL Free Pick: Steelers -3
More NFL Week 16 Betting News
- Jaguars vs Falcons 2019 NFL Week 16 Spread & Expert Analysis
- Saints vs Titans 2019 NFL Week 16 Odds, Preview & Prediction
- Cowboys vs Eagles 2019 NFL Week 16 Lines, Preview & Analysis
- Cardinals vs Seahawks 2019 NFL Week 16 Odds, Prediction & Pick
- Rams vs 49ers 2019 NFL Week 16 Spread & Game Preview
- NFL Picks Week 16 (Ep. 766)
- Giants vs Redskins 2019 NFL Week 16 Spread, Game Info & Pick
- Panthers vs Colts 2019 NFL Week 16 Lines & Betting Analysis
- Ravens vs Browns 2019 NFL Week 16 Odds, Game Info & Prediction
- Raiders vs Chargers 2019 NFL Week 16 Betting Lines & Game Preview
- Steelers vs Jets 2019 NFL Week 16 Lines & Expert Analysis
- Bengals vs Dolphins 2019 NFL Week 16 Odds & Betting Prediction
- Bills vs Patriots 2019 NFL Week 16 Lines, Analysis & Prediction
- Texans vs Buccaneers 2019 NFL Week 16 Odds, Preview & Pick