Rutgers completes yet another dismal season on Saturday when the Scarlet Knights – who will have a new head coach the next time they take the field in 2020 – visit No. 10 Penn State. The Nittany Lions need a win to secure a major bowl bid. They are massive favorites on the college football lines.
How to Bet Rutgers vs Penn State College Football Week 14 Odds & Game Info
- When: Saturday, 3:30 PM ET
- Where: Beaver Stadium
- TV: Big Ten Network
- Live Stream: BTN2GO
- Radio: SiriusXM
- College Football Week 14 Odds: Penn State -40 (Total 49.5)
Rutgers vs Penn State Last SeasonPenn State struggled at Rutgers in 2018, winning just 20-7. Trace McSorley threw two touchdown passes to tight end Pat Freiermuth and Penn State’s defense set up two touchdowns with turnovers. The win was No. 30 for McSorley as a starter, moving him into the top spot in school history ahead of Todd Blackledge (1980-82) and Tony Sacca (1988-91). McSorley is in the NFL now. Jake Pinegar added field goals of 22 and 19 yards as PSU won its 12th in a row in the series. Raheem Blackshear, who ran for 102 yards on 22 carries, scored on a 2-yard fourth-quarter run for Rutgers.
Rutgers and Penn State will meet for the sixth time in a Big Ten contest, 18th time in Pennsylvania and for the 30th meeting overall.
Why Bet on Rutgers?Rutgers simply should not be in the Big Ten as the Golden Knights are again winless in the conference and have been blown out in every game. It was 27-0 to Michigan State last week – it was Rutgers’ 20th straight Big Ten loss. Rutgers thought it had scored midway through the fourth quarter on a 44-yard field goal by Justin Davidovicz. But a holding penalty took the points off the board and forced a punt. Rutgers was limited to 57 yards passing, was 0 for 11 on third down and had the ball for 22:09.
Redshirt freshman QB Johnny Langan is up to 1,009 yards of total offense (676 passing, 333 rushing) and has accounted for seven touchdowns (four passing, three rushing) in seven starts. The 333 rushing yards are the most in a season by a Rutgers quarterback since Bruce Van Ness, a member of the Rutgers Athletics Hall of Fame, had 389 in 1967.
Sophomore Isaih Pacheco ranks 10th in the Big Ten with 62.7 rushing yards per game. Pacheco has scored seven rushing touchdowns, the most by a Scarlet Knight in a season since Robert Martin had seven in 2014. The last to reach eight was Paul James, who had nine in 2013. Junior Bo Melton paces the team with 375 receiving yards with at least one reception in all 11 games this year.
To make matters worse, running back Raheem Blackshear, the team’s best offensive player in 2018 who has not played in the last seven games after deciding to voluntarily redshirt following the dismissal of former head coach Chris Ash and offensive coordinator John McNulty in September, officially entered his name in the transfer portal on Wednesday.
- Points per Game: 13.91
- Passing Yards: 133.36
- Rushing Yards: 129.18
- Yards per Play: 4.36
- Points per Game: 37.55
- Passing Yards: 246.27
- Rushing Yards: 196.27
- Yards per Play: 6.28
Why Bet on Penn State?The Nittany Lions are 6-0 at Beaver Stadium this season, but dropped their most recent road game at No. 2 Ohio State, 28-17, last Saturday to end Penn State’s chances of playing in the Big Ten title game. Ohio State led 21-0 early in the third quarter, but Penn State (9-2, 7-1 Big Ten) scored the next 17 points.
The Buckeyes managed to halt the Nittany Lions’ momentum though with a 28-yard touchdown pass to Chris Olave with 13:18 remaining and an interception at the Ohio State 20 with 10:16 remaining. Lions backup QB Will Levis entered the game at quarterback in the third quarter and rushed for 34 yards and a touchdown while completing 6-of-11 passes for 57 yards.
Levis played because Sean Clifford was knocked out injured. Clifford is being called a game-time decision for Saturday, but according to James Franklin, regardless of Clifford’s health, Levis will likely play in some capacity in the regular-season finale.
Clifford has so far fared well in his first season as a starter. He’s fourth in the conference in passing yards (2,521) and third in touchdown passes (22). He’s also thrown just six interceptions while completing 59.5% of his passes, and he’s rushed for 373 yards while adding five rushing scores.
Penn State (14.8 ppg) ranks ninth nationally in scoring defense and boasts a stingy rushing defense allowing just 89.9 yards per game (4th FBS). Penn State has 36 sacks to average 3.27 sacks per game (11th in FBS), putting it on pace for its fifth consecutive season with 40 or more sacks.
Over the last four seasons (2016-19), Penn State is 32-2 in games against unranked opponents, including a 30-1 mark since an overtime win over Minnesota early in 2016 and a 10-game winning streak dating back to last season.
- Points per Game: 35.00
- Passing Yards: 242.09
- Rushing Yards: 166.36
- Yards per Play: 5.97
- Points per Game: 14.82
- Passing Yards: 235.55
- Rushing Yards: 89.82
- Yards per Play: 4.60
Rutgers vs Penn State College Football Week 14 Betting Trends
- Scarlet Knights are 0-11 SU in their last 11 games on the road
- Scarlet Knights are 1-7 ATS in their last 8 games against an opponent in the Big 10 conference
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Rutgers’ last 5 games played in November
- Nittany Lions are 9-2 SU in their last 11 games
- Nittany Lions are 6-2 ATS in their last 8 games played in week 14
- The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Penn State’s last 5 games against Rutgers
Expert Final Score Prediction for Rutgers vs Penn StateRutgers 3 – Penn State 41
More Week 14 College Football Betting News
- Alabama vs Auburn 2019 College Football Week 14 Odds, Game Info & Pick
- Iowa State vs Kansas State 2019 College Football Week 14 Odds & Pick
- Florida State vs Florida 2019 College Football Week 14 Spread & Game Preview
- Texas A&M vs LSU 2019 College Football Week 14 Betting Lines & Analysis
- Rutgers vs Penn State 2019 College Football Week 14 Odds, Preview & Pick
- Notre Dame vs Stanford 2019 College Football Week 14 Odds & Analysis
- Navy vs Houston 2019 College Football Week 14 Odds, Game Info & Pick
- Georgia vs Georgia Tech 2019 College Football Week 14 Lines & Analysis
- Baylor vs Kansas 2019 College Football Week 14 Odds, Game Info & Pick
- Oregon State vs Oregon 2019 College Football Week 14 Spread & Analysis
- Colorado vs Utah 2019 College Football Week 14 Betting Lines & Preview
- Ohio State vs Michigan 2019 College Football Week 14 Odds & Prediction
- Boise State vs Colorado State 2019 College Football Week 14 Lines & Preview
- Appalachian State vs Troy 2019 College Football Week 14 Spread & Game Info