We are at the stage of the MLB season where the class of the better teams in the league starts to really shine through. Teams that started surprisingly well tend to start to fade away at this point, while those who are likely to be in contention for a division crown at the end of the season begin to assert their will on weaker opponents. There are, of course, still some teams who are hovering at or around the .500 mark who will eventually head in one direction or the other, but for the most part, we are starting to get a clear picture of how things might play out.
Given their recent form, it is beginning to look as though the Washington Nationals might be one of those teams heading in the wrong direction. They are on a poor run of form right now, with things likely to get worse as they hit the road for a weekend series with the LA Dodgers. This series will get rolling on Thursday night, with the Dodgers favored by 1 ½ in the opener. The run total for this one has been set at 7.
Nationals vs Dodgers MLB Betting Lines & Game Analysis
- When: Thursday, May 9 at 10:10 PM EST
- Where: Dodger Stadium, LA
- Starting Pitchers: Corbin vs. Hill
- TV: MLB Extra Innings
- Live Stream: MLB.tv
- MLB Betting Lines: Los Angeles Dodgers -165 (Total 7)
Why bet on the Washington Nationals?
The Washington Nationals were the class of the NL East for a few seasons, but it looks as though their reign at the top is coming to a close. They were disappointing last season, and after losing Bryce Harper in the offseason, the feeling was always that they might take another step backward this year.
That certainly seems to be the case, as the Nationals are sitting at 14-22, 7 games off the pace being set by the Philadelphia Phillies, where Bryce Harper now does his business. They come into this one on a 4-game losing skid and just 2 wins in their last 10 games. They are also just 7-11 SU on the road and 5-5 ATS as a road dog. It will be Patrick Corbin (2-1, 3.71 ERA) who gets the start for Washington.
- Runs: 4.58
- Hits: 8.31
- Walks: 3.31
- Strike Outs: 10.14
- Runs: 5.22
- Hits: 8.86
- Walks: 3.50
- Strike Outs: 10.06
Why bet on the LA Dodgers?
The Dodgers have made it all the way to the World Series in each of the last two seasons, coming away empty-handed on both occasions. This is a team that usually starts slow and builds as the season goes on, but they look like a team on a mission this time around. They have started the season with a 25-14 record, which has helped them open up a 3-game lead at the top of the NL West.
They come into this series having just manhandled another team from the East, sweeping the Atlanta Braves and outscoring them 23-7 in 3 games. The Dodgers are an impressive 15-4 SU at home, although just 10-9 ATS as a home favorite. It will be Rich Hill (0-0, 3.60 ERA) who starts for LA on Thursday night.
- Runs: 5.49
- Hits: 8.62
- Walks: 4.28
- Strike Outs: 7.97
- Runs: 4.18
- Hits: 7.62
- Walks: 2.46
- Strike Outs: 8.69
Nationals vs Dodgers MLB Betting Trends
- Nationals are 1-5 SU in their last 6 games this season
- The total has gone UNDER in 6 of Washington’s last 9 games against an opponent in the National League
- Dodgers are 10-0 SU in their last 10 games at home
- The total has gone UNDER in 8 of LA Dodgers’ last 12 games against Washington
- Nationals are 52-58 against the money line when playing against a team with a winning record over the last 2 seasons.
- Dodgers are 125-93 against the money line in all games over the last 2 seasons
- Corbin is 4-9 when starting against LA DODGERS with an ERA of 3.72 and a WHIP of 1.428
- Hill is 2-2 when starting against WASHINGTON with an ERA of 4.55 and a WHIP of 1.382
Expert Pick & Final Score Prediction for Nationals vs Dodgers
The Dodgers are hot right now and are beginning to look like a team who are going to be incredibly tough to beat in their own ballpark. They have a 10-game unbeaten streak there right now, so look for them to extend that in this one.
Score: Washington Nationals 3 – LA Dodgers 6