At the start of every NBA season, we all take time to assess every team in an attempt to figure out where they might land over the course of the year. There are teams that, on paper, look very good, while there are others that seem destined to struggle all season long. There are also a bunch of teams that fall somewhere in the middle, and who are a little tougher to figure out.
We make these assessments knowing full well that not all of them are going to prove to be correct. For one, thing, there are injuries to consider, as well as some players not fitting in as quickly with a new team as we had thought they would. There are also other factors that come into play, which are sometimes off court issues that we never saw coming.
The LA Lakers are among the best in the league, but they are in a bit of a swoon at the moment, with the Kobe Bryant tragedy perhaps playing a part. LeBron and the Lakers will try to get their groove back on Tuesday night when they host the San Antonio Spurs. The Lakers are a 11.5-point home favorite for this one, with the point total set at 226 ½. Let’s analyze both teams for your NBA Betting Odds.
Spurs vs Lakers 2020 NBA Spread, Game Info & Expert Preview
- When: Friday, January 24 at 10 PM EST
- Where: Staples Center, LA
- TV: TNT
- Radio: Los Angeles / San Antonio
- Live Stream: NBA League Pass
- NBA Odds: Los Angeles Lakers -11.5 / Total 226.5
Why bet on the San Antonio Spurs?
It’s not quite time to push the panic button yet for the San Antonio Spurs, but they are getting mighty close to being there. The Spurs are currently sitting below the playoff line in the Western Conference, 2 ½ games off the pace being set by the Memphis Grizzlies in the #8 seed.
That is not a lot of ground to make up, but while the teams ahead of them are all on a decent run of form over the last 10 games, the Spurs have been treading water at 5-5.
That run leaves them sitting at 22-27 on the season, well below what we have been used to seeing from this team over the years. Playing on the road has proven to be an issue for the 8-15 Spurs, as has playing against team with a winning record. San Antonio is 9-16 in those games.
- Total Score: 113.43
- Field Goal Percentage: 47.13
- Three-Point Percentage: 36.56
- Free Throw Percentage: 80.07
- Total Rebounds: 45.82
- Total Score: 113.78
- Field Goal Percentage: 46.10
- Three-Point Percentage: 36.22
- Free Throw Percentage: 77.40
- Total Rebounds: 45.59
Why bet on the LA Lakers
Besides dealing with the emotion of the Kobe Bryant situation, the Lakers are also playing without the services of Anthony Davis, who is currently listed as day to day. The Lakers have gone 6-4 in their last 10 games, which, while not terrible, is off the win percentage they have been setting this season with their 37-11 record.
In home games this season, the Lakers are 16-6, but they have not been particularly convincing against the spread in those games, going 11-10-1 ATS. They are on a run now that has seen them go just 2-4 ATS in their last 6. LA has feasted on teams with a losing record, going 23-2 in those outings.
- Total Score: 113.98
- Field Goal Percentage: 48.42
- Three-Point Percentage: 36.10
- Free Throw Percentage: 73.71
- Total Rebounds: 45.81
- Total Score: 106.85
- Field Goal Percentage: 44.32
- Three-Point Percentage: 34.07
- Free Throw Percentage: 78.37
- Total Rebounds: 42.40
Spurs vs Lakers NBA Betting Trends
- San Antonio are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games.
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of San Antonio’s last 6 games.
- San Antonio are 2-4 SU in their last 6 games.
- LA Lakers are 2-4 ATS in their last 6 games.
- The total has gone OVER in 9 of LA Lakers’ last 11 games.
- LA Lakers are 13-4 SU in their last 17 games.
Spurs vs Lakers Expert Analysis and Prediction
The Lakers have won both previous meetings with the Spurs this season, with the average margin of victory in those games coming in at a touch over 8 PPG. Those were both on the road, and while you would expect more at home, the absence of Davis may keep things closer.
Pick: San Antonio Spurs 107 LA Lakers 115