The first full week of the 2021 college football season is in the books. We had, as always seems to happen in college football, some surprise results, as well as some performances that made a lot of fans sit up and take notice. There is, of course, a long way to go, but we are certainly going to see some movement in the national rankings when all is said and done. Given that it is Labor Day in the US and we have a game on Monday night, the new ranking will not go up until Tuesday, but we can still look at the top 10 and see how they performed. With that in mind, let’s jump right into action so you can continue betting against the NCAAF odds.
College Football Power Rankings Picks
1. Alabama Crimson Tide – Every season, we talk about the players that Alabama lost to the draft and the holes that need to be filled. Every year, they just continue to grind out wins at an alarming rate. Alabama will stay at #1 after pounding the Miami Hurricanes 44-13.
2. Oklahoma Sooners – One week in and it already looks like the same old story for Oklahoma. Their offense looks great, but their D again looks to be a liability. They barely hung on to get a 40-35 win over Tulane and may well drop a spot.
3. Clemson Tigers – Life without Trevor Lawrence may not prove to be smooth sailing, with the Tigers going down 10-3 to Georgia in the biggest game of the weekend. The schedule gets a whole lot easier for Clemson from now on, but there is zero room for error.
4. Ohio State Buckeyes – It wasn’t always pretty, but the Ohio State Buckeyes did manage to come away with the 45-31 win over Minnesota in the opening week of the season. They showed some real grit, though, as they were behind a couple of times in the first half.
5. Georgia Bulldogs – The Georgia Bulldogs came away with the biggest win of the weekend and did so without 5 of their offensive starters. Their defense looks ridiculously good, and we can probably expect the Dawgs to move up to #2.
6. Texas A&M Aggies – All that you can really say about the Texas A&M Aggies is that they did what was expected of them in Week 1, rolling to a 41-10 win against Kent. Much bigger fish to fry in the coming weeks, but still a good start to the season.
7. Iowa State Cyclones – Another example of an uninspired start from a team starting the season ranked in the top 10. The Iowa State Cyclones found themselves down 7-0 early, but they did manage to come back and topple Northern Iowa 16-10. A less than impressive showing.
8. Cincinnati Bearcats – The Week 1 performance from the Cincinnati Bearcats was arguably one of the best from a top 10 team. They were in control from the off and ended up taking out Miami-OH by a score of 49-14.
9. Notre Dame Fighting Irish – It was not a great opening week for the Irish, who opened up their season on Sunday night. Yes, they got the win, but they almost gassed a big lead against Florida State, holding on to win 41-38.
10. North Carolina Tar Heels – One thing that we can accurately predict is that the Tar Heels will be out of the top 10 on Tuesday. They opened their season with a surprising loss on the road to Virginia Tech, going down 17-10.