The Indianapolis Colts and Pittsburgh Steelers are both starting backup quarterbacks this season due to injury/retirement but both are also squarely in the playoff chase. It’s a short week for the Steelers as they host the Colts as short NFL betting favorites on Sunday.
How to Bet Colts vs Steelers NFL Week 9 Odds & Game Info
- When: Sunday, 1 PM ET
- Where: Heinz Field
- TV: CBS
- Radio: SiriusXM
- Live Stream: NFL Game Pass
- NFL Week 9 Odds: Pittsburgh Steelers -1 (Total 43)
Last Colts vs Steelers Meeting
Teams last played in Week 10 of the 2017 season and the Colts lost 20-17 at home – they weren’t very good that year. Ben Roethlisberger’s 32-yard completion to Antonio Brown with 35 seconds set up a 33-yard field goal from Chris Boswell as time expired.
Pittsburgh needed two second-half TD passes from Roethlisberger to fight its way out of a 17-3 third-quarter deficit. Of course, Big Ben is out injured and Brown is out of the NFL now. Jacoby Brissett threw for 222 yards, two scores and a pick for the Colts. He’s now starting again in the place of the retired Andrew Luck.
- Partly Cloudy: 22°C/71°F
- Humidity: 12%
- Precipitation: 5%
- Cloud Cover: 9%
- Wind: 12 mph NW
- Stadium Type: Open
Why Bet on Indianapolis?
The Colts lead the AFC South at 5-2 and won their third in a row Sunday, 15-13 over Denver. Future Hall of Fame kicker Adam Vinatieri made a 45-yard field goal with 22 seconds left as Indy rallied – he had missed a 45-yard kick earlier and an extra point. Vinatieri joined Reggie Wayne (211), Peyton Manning (208) and Johnny Unitas (206) as the only Colts to appear in 200 games.
Jacoby Brissett completed 15-of-25 passes for 202 yards in the win. He added 34 yards on six carries. Brissett also lost a fumble and took four sacks. Brissett made a clutch play where he broke a tackle to avoid safety and fired a 35-yard pass to T.Y. Hilton on the final series. Marlon Mack had 19 carries for 76 yards and a touchdown in the Colts’ Week 8 win over the Broncos. Mack scored the Colts’ lone a 10-yard third quarter run.
The Colts’ defense certainly stepped up in a big way on Sunday. The Broncos converted just 2-of-12 (17 percent) of their tries on third down and were held to 174 yards passing, but perhaps most importantly, Indy would limit Denver to field goals on two of its three trips to the red zone, as well as 1-of-2 goal-to-goal situations.
Indy became the first team since the 1970 NFL-AFL merger to start a season with a 5-2 record and have all their games decided by seven points or fewer. If the Colts can keep maintaining this pace, they can earn a first-round bye for the first time since the 2009 season, when they went 14-2 and advanced to Super Bowl XLIV as the AFC’s No. 1 seed.
- Points per Game: 22.57
- Passing Yards: 217.43
- Rushing Yards: 128.43
- Yards per Play: 5.27
- Points per Game: 21.57
- Passing Yards: 238.14
- Rushing Yards: 111.14
- Yards per Play: 5.91
Why Bet on Pittsburgh?
Short week for Steelers are rallying for a 27-14 home win over the winless Dolphins on Monday as Pittsburgh got to 3-4 after a 0-3 start. Mason Rudolph completed 20-of-36 passes for 251 yards, two touchdowns, and one interception. Rudolph’s 7.0 yards per attempt were right in line with his 6.9 average coming into this one, but the Steelers dialed up far more downfield passing plays. Rudolph had a horrendous first quarter, throwing a wobbling pick into tight coverage on his very first pass attempt. The offense was later booed off the field a number of times as Pittsburgh fell into a 14-0 hole.
JuJu Smith-Schuster caught 5-of-9 targets for 103 yards and one touchdown. It was easily his best game of the season and JuJu’s first over 100 yards after averaging just over 56 yards per game Weeks 1-7. James Conner rushed 23 times for 145 yards and one touchdown. Conner had yet to manage a 100-yard rushing game this season coming into Monday night.
However, he got hurt late in the game and might miss a while. Coach Mike Tomlin confirmed Conner suffered a “shoulder, AC injury.” Not clear yet how long Conner might miss or maybe if he can play through it. Fellow tailback Benny Snell Jr. also was injured. Like Conner, Snell (knee) will also be limited early in the week, at the very least, but Tomlin wasn’t ready to rule either out for Sunday’s game against the Colts. Though Snell and Conner’s availability are up in the air, the group will get a boost from the return of Jaylen Samuels after a two-game absence.
What about the defense?
The Pittsburgh defense had an interesting night. It surrendered touchdown drives on Miami’s second and third possessions but after a Chris Boswell field goal cut the Dolphins’ lead to 14-3 with 2:45 left in the second quarter, Miami never scored and yet never punted. The Dolphins’ final eight possessions ended, in succession, by throwing an interception, by taking a knee to end the first half, by throwing another interception, by turning the ball over on downs, by losing a fumble, by losing another fumble, by turning the ball over on downs again, and by having the fourth-quarter clock run out.
Cornerback Minkah Fitzpatrick, who arrived in Pittsburgh during Week 3 after forcing his way out of Miami in a trade, had two picks against his former team. The Steelers turned them into two game-changing touchdowns in the second and third quarters.
- Points per Game: 20.50
- Passing Yards: 200.00
- Rushing Yards: 76.50
- Yards per Play: 5.09
- Points per Game: 21.83
- Passing Yards: 244.17
- Rushing Yards: 110.33
- Yards per Play: 5.21
Colts vs Steelers NFL Week 9 Betting Trends
- Over is 5-1 in the last 6 meetings in Pittsburgh
- Home team is 4-1 ATS in their last 5 meetings
- Underdog is 5-2 ATS in their last 7 meetings
- Colts are 0-5 SU in their last 5 games against Pittsburgh
- Colts are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games against an opponent in the AFC North division
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Indianapolis’ last 5 games on the road
- Steelers are 7-3 SU in their last 10 games at home
- The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Pittsburgh’s last 7 games this season
Expert Final Score Prediction for Colts vs Steelers
Indianapolis Colts 20 – Pittsburgh Steelers 23
More Week 9 NFL Betting News
- Chargers vs Seahawks NFL Week 9 Spread & Preview
- Rams vs Saints NFL Week 9 Spread & Betting Analysis
- Titans vs Cowboys NFL Week 9 Odds & Pick for Monday Night
- How to Bet Packers vs Patriots NFL Week 9 Odds & Pick
- Texans vs Broncos NFL Week 9 Lines & Expert Pick
- Falcons vs Redskins NFL Week 9 Odds & Game Preview
- How to Bet Lions vs Vikings NFL Week 9 Spread & Pick
- Bears vs Bills NFL Week 9 Betting Lines & Prediction
- Week Nine NFL DFS Picks (Ep. 623)
- Steelers vs Ravens NFL Week 9 Odds & Expert Pick
- How to Bet Raiders vs 49ers NFL Week 9 Spread & Pick
- Chiefs at Browns NFL Week 9 Lines & Betting Preview
- Buccaneers vs Panthers NFL Week 9 Odds & Prediction
- NFL Week 9 Over/Under Betting Picks
Even More Colts vs Steelers Archived Betting Articles
- Printable Playoff Bracket, Print 2020-2021 Super Bowl 55 Playoff Picture
- Colts 24 vs Steelers 28 Result NFL Week 16 Score
- Indianapolis Colts at Pittsburgh Steelers Opening Line and Betting Trends December 27, 2020
- NFL Week 8 Parlay Picks Expert Analysis
- NFL Week 8 SU Picks Expert Analysis
- NFL 2020 Week 3 Parlay Picks & Expert Analysis