The Wests Tigers and Canberra Raiders will both be looking to bounce back from Round 4 losses when they square off on Saturday, live from the Tigers’ Campbelltown Stadium in Sydney. With the Tigers looking to pull off the upset, let’s find out which team is offering the best value in this affair along with their NRL odds.
NRL Raiders Vs Wests Tigers Round 5
Why Bet On The Tigers at +220
The Tigers are in ninth place in the NRL standings, having scored 99 points while allowing 100 points allowed defensively (-1). They come into this Round 5 matchup off a great effort that saw them come up just short in falling to the Gold Coast Titans 28-23 on Sunday. David Nofoaluma scored two tires while Adam Doueihi and Joseph Leilua both added scoring tries. Benji Marshall went 3 of 4 on conversions in the loss. Defensively, the Tigers gave up five tries while Ashley Taylor went 4-for-5 on conversions for Gold Coast. There will be big changes for the Tigers with coach Michael Maguire benching Robert Jennings, Benji Marshall, Luke Garner, Oliver Clark and Billy Walters. Tommy Talau is named on the wing, Josh Reynolds at five-eighth, Zane Musgrove at prop, Chris Lawrence in the second row and Russell Packer and Michael Chee-Kam joining the bench.
Why Bet On The Raiders at -285
Canberra is sitting in fourth place in the NRL standings with 84 points scored and 52 points allowed defensively (+32).
Unfortunately, the Raiders suffered their first loss of the season by falling to Newcastle 34-18 in Round 4 on Sunday. While Jack Wighton, Nick Cotric and Josh Papalii all scored on tries and Jack Croker went 3 for 3 on conversions, Canberra gave up a pair of tries to the Knights’ Edrick Lee and four additional tries while also allowing Kalyn Ponga to score fours conventions and Tex Hoy to add another. The Raiders had possession for 51 percent of the match but lost the meters run battle 203-138. Canberra will have an unchanged 17 after last week’s uninspiring loss to Newcastle.
Expert Analysis and Prediction
While the Tigers own a slight 19-18 edge in 37 career head-to-head meetings, Canberra has won each of the last two meetings and four of the last five meetings overall, including a 20-12 home win on July 20, 2019 and a 28-0 road win on June 7 of last year. While the Raiders have scored 15 fewer points per game than the Tigers this season, they’ve also allowed 48 fewer points than their opponents in this matchup. With that said and Canberra looking to get the bad taste out of their collective mouths, I say, keep it simple and back Canberra to get the resounding road win in this matchup to improve to a perfect 3-0 on the road this season.
Pick: Raiders 28 Tigers 18
General Game Info Canberra Raiders (3-0-1) vs. Wests Tigers (2-0-2)
- When: Saturday, June 13, 2020 at 4:35 AM AEST
- Where: Campbelltown Stadium, Sydney
- Raiders Vs Wests Tigers Live: Fox Sports
- Money Lines: Tigers +220 / Raiders -285
Telstra Premiership 2020 Round 5 Matches
- Cowboys Vs Warriors – Friday 12th June, 04:00 AM | Central Coast Stadium, Central Coast
- Panthers Vs Eels – Friday 12th June, 05:55 AM | Bankwest Stadium, Sydney
- Titans Vs Rabbitohs – Saturday 13th June, 01:00 AM | Bankwest Stadium, Sydney
- Storm Vs Knights – Saturday 13th June, 03:30 AM | Central Coast Stadium, Central Coast
- Broncos Vs Sea Eagles- Thursday 11th June, 05:50 AM | Central Coast Stadium, Central Coast
- Roosters Vs Bulldogs – Sunday 14th June, 02:05 AM | Bankwest Stadium, Sydney
- Sharks Vs Dragons – Sunday 14th June, 04:30 AM | Campbelltown Stadium, Sydney