The Virginia Cavaliers will look to pull off the huge upset when they hit the road to take on the top-ranked Clemson Tigers in their Week 5 ACC showdown. Saturday night’s matchup at Clemson’s Memorial Stadium, will feature a socially distanced crowd of approximately 19,000. Now, with the Cavaliers looking to pull off the shocker and the Tigers looking to take another step toward what they hope will be another appearance in the College Football Playoff, let’s find out which team is offering the best value against their Week 5 NCAAF odds.
NCAA Football Virginia (1-0) at No. 1 Clemson (2-0) Betting Preview
- When: Saturday, Oct. 3, 2020 at 8:00 PM ET
- Where: Clemson Memorial Stadium
- Spread: Clemson -28.5
- Total: 55
Why Bet On Virginia
Virginia got their 2020 campaign started off on the right foot by beating Duke 38-20 in their opener on Saturday. The Cavaliers saw quarterback Brennan Armstrong pass for 269 yards with two TDs and two picks while adding 47 rushing yards and one score on 10 carries, in the win.
“One game in, they look like the team that went to the ACC Championship game last year,” Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney said. “They’re very experienced. Bronco has done an amazing job. This is a program and a culture that has been building each year. They’re one of the more experienced teams out there.”
Swinney gushed about Virginia’s young quarterback.
“He’s a problem,” Swinney said. “He’s like a young Steve Young running around out there — a lefty, crafty, creative, extends plays, good runner, really has no fear. Trusts his guys to make competitive plays. This quarterback is savvy and tough, not afraid to run it. He can escape.”
- Cavaliers are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games overall.
- Cavaliers are 2-5-1 ATS in their last 8 games following a straight up win.
- Cavaliers are 1-3-1 ATS in their last 5 games following a ATS win.
- Cavaliers are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 road games.
- Over is 7-0 in Cavaliers last 7 games overall.
- Over is 4-0 in Cavaliers last 4 games following a straight up win.
- Over is 5-0 in Cavaliers last 5 conference games.
- Over is 4-0 in Cavaliers last 4 vs. a team with a winning record.
- Over is 6-1 in Cavaliers last 7 games following a ATS win.
- Over is 9-2 in Cavaliers last 11 road games vs. a team with a winning home record.
- Over is 4-1 in Cavaliers last 5 games as an underdog.
Why Bet On Clemson
Clemson destroyed overmatched Wake Forest 37-13 in their opener on Sept. 12 before taking down The Citadel 49-0 on Sept. 19. as quarterback Trevor Lawrence passed for a modest 168 yards with three touchdowns and n picks in limited action. In his first college game, 6-foot-7 freshman wide receiver Lavel Davis Jr., had four catches for 1010 yards and two highlight reel grabs in the win.
“He’s a long, long guy,” Swinney said. “He made some big plays against Duke. I think he was the difference in the game. Good start for him in his first game and he’s only going to get better as he gets stronger and develops.”
Clemson has won 23 consecutive games against ACC opponents dating back to 2017. Lawrence and two-time ACC Player of the Year Travis Etienne will see more action in this conference clash after playing limited time in both of the Tigers first two games.
- Tigers are 5-0 ATS in their last 5 games following a bye week.
- Tigers are 8-3 ATS in their last 11 games following a straight up win.
- Tigers are 18-7-1 ATS in their last 26 conference games.
- Tigers are 5-2 ATS in their last 7 home games.
- Tigers are 19-8 ATS in their last 27 games overall.
- Under is 5-1 in Tigers last 6 games as a favorite.
- Under is 4-1 in Tigers last 5 games following a ATS loss.
- Under is 19-7 in Tigers last 26 games following a bye week.
- Under is 5-2 in Tigers last 7 games overall.
- Under is 9-4 in Tigers last 13 conference games.
Expert Analysis and Prediction
Yes, Clemson is the cream of the crop in the ACC and hell, for pretty much, all of college football these days, but Virginia is clearly an improved team and I believe the Cavaliers can cover the huge, four-touchdown spread in this matchup.
While Clemson has gone a near-perfect 6-0-1 ATS in their last 7 games in October and 7-2 ATS in their last nine games against a team with a winning record, Virginia has gone11-3 ATS in their last 14 games following a bye week and an even more impressive 12-4 ATS in their last 16 games against a team with a winning record.
Clemson wins, but Virginia covers the spread.
Pick: Clemson 38 Virginia 17
College Football Betting News
- Posts not found