Week 4 of the college football season is in the books and the top 10 looks a little different again this week. Given some of the matchups that are set for Week 5, we can almost guarantee that the National Rankings, as they look now, will certainly be temporary. Week 4 was another stunner, with the Clemson Tigers losing to NC State in a defeat that kills their playoff chances. We are seeing a couple of dark horse contenders emerge, as well as a pair of definite favorites. Let’s take a closer look at the top 10 so you can continue making your bets against the NCAAF odds.
College Football Power Rankings Heading Into Week 5
1. Alabama Crimson Tide – As long as Alabama continues to win, they are going to stay in the #1 spot. They did not get much of a test this past weekend, blowing out Southern Miss 63-14. A tougher test this weekend, with Ole Miss next up.
2. Georgia Bulldogs – What has to be a little alarming, beside the Dawgs D, to other teams is that Georgia is still awaiting the return of a couple of top players on offense. They hammered Vanderbilt 62-0 in Week 4 and will face Arkansas next.
3. Oregon Ducks – It has been a while since we have seen a PAC 12 team in the playoffs, but are the Oregon Ducks about to change that? They moved to 4-0 with a 41-19 win over Arizona and will have Stanford up next.
4. Penn State Nittany Lions – The Nittany Lions are 4-0 and have beaten a pair of ranked teams along the way. There are bigger challenges still to come, but they remained unbeaten with a 38-17 win over Villanova this past weekend.
5. Iowa Hawkeyes – The Iowa Hawkeyes are now 4-0, but they are coming off their least convincing win of the season. They needed a second half comeback to down Colorado State and will play Maryland next.
6. Oklahoma Sooners – For the second straight week, the Oklahoma Sooners were a little lucky to escape with a win, taking down West Virginia 16-13. That dropped them out of the top 4, with Kansas State next on the schedule.
7. Cincinnati Bearcats – It was a bye week for Cincinnati in Week 4, and they will return this weekend with a tough one against the Notre Dame Fighting Irish. That’s a must win game for both teams, as a loss would likely kill all playoff aspirations.
8. Arkansas Razorbacks – The Arkansas Razorbacks continue to be one of the pleasant surprises of the season, taking down Texas A&M 20-10 this past weekend. Next up, though is Georgia, so we will soon see if this team is for real.
9. Notre Dame Fighting Irish – After a manageable schedule through the opening 3 weeks, the Notre Dame Fighting Irish final aced a much tougher test in Week 4, taking down Wisconsin in an impressive 41-13 win. Another tough one against Cincinnati on the horizon.
10. Florida Gators – The Gators are the only team in the top 10 with a loss this season, but it is worth remembering that the defeat was a close one at the hands of Alabama. Kentucky is next up for the Florida Gators.