The Iowa Hawkeyes head to Maryland to take on a hot Terrapins in a game that could have huge Big Ten Championship implications. Maryland has shown they can hang with some solid teams, which is why the #5 Hawkeyes are just 3 ½ point favorites. Will Iowa win their fourth straight? Will the Terrapins prove they’re one of the better teams in the conference? Check out NCAAF odds, analysis, and a free pick for Iowa Hawkeyes versus Maryland Terrapins.
College Football Odds and Predictions – Iowa Hawkeyes vs Maryland Terrapins
#5 Iowa Hawkeyes at Maryland Game Odds & Info
- When: Friday, Oct. 1 at 8:00 pm ET
- Where: Maryland Stadium, College Park, MD
- TV / Streaming: FSI / Fox Sports
- ATS Odds: Iowa -3 ½
- Over/Under Odds: 48
Why bet on #5 Iowa against Maryland?
Iowa has one of the best defenses in the nation. The Hawkeyes allow less than 190 passing yards and less than 85 rushing yards per game. More importantly, opponents score 11 per versus the Hawkeyes. If Iowa could shut down Iowa State’s offense, they should have no trouble containing Taulia Tagovailoa and the Maryland Terrapins. Also, the betting line is short enough for Iowa to cover the spread.
Iowa Hawkeyes Offensive Averages
- Total Yards: 293
- Passing Yards: 171.8
- Rushing Yards: 121.3
- Points Scored: 28.8
- Turnovers: 3
Iowa Hawkeyes Defensive Averages
- Total Yards: 271.5
- Passing Yards: 187.0
- Rushing Yards: 84.5
- Points Scored: 11.0
- Takeaways: 6
Why bet on Maryland versus #5 Iowa?
Maryland might be the most underrated 4-0 team in the nation. Behind Tagovailoa’s arm and Taylon Fleet-Davis’ rushing, the Terps can score at will. Maryland averages 37.3 points per game. Yes, Iowa has a great defense, but the Hawkeyes have yet to face an offense as balanced and talented as Maryland’s. Not only that, but Maryland is a home dog facing a conference rival. It sounds like a recipe for a Terrapin cover.
Maryland Terrapins Offensive Averages
- Total Yards: 519.3
- Passing Yards: 353.3
- Rushing Yards: 166.0
- Points Scored: 37.3
- Turnovers: 3
Maryland Terrapins Defensive Averages
- Total Yards: 316.0
- Passing Yards: 212.5
- Rushing Yards: 103.5
- Points Scored: 14.3
- Takeaways: 4
Relevant Trends for #5 Iowa Hawkeyes versus Maryland Terrapins
- Hawkeyes are 4-0 ATS in their last 4 road games
- Iowa is 1-7-1 ATS in their last 7 games in October
- Under is 5-0 in Hawkeyes last 5 games
- Maryland is 3-7 ATS in their last 10 games
- Terrapins are 1-6 ATS in their last 7 games on field turf
- Under is 4-0 in Maryland’s last 4 conference games
#5 Iowa versus Maryland Final Betting Prediction
So far this season, Iowa has done nothing wrong. However, before we side with the Hawkeyes we should critically assess the teams they’ve beaten.
Iowa also looked great upsetting Iowa State. But since the loss to the Hawkeyes, the Cyclones have since lost to Baylor as a -6.5 favorite. That doesn’t mean that Iowa isn’t a good team.
It does mean that we may be overvaluing the Hawkeyes by ranking them fifth in the nation. On Friday night, Iowa faces a quarterback with skills for days. Not only that, but the Terrapins defense is tight.
It allows 14.3 points per. Maryland covers for sure. We’re waiting for the moneyline because on Friday night the Iowa Hawkeyes fall back to earth with their first loss of the season.
NCAAF Week 5 Pick: Maryland Terrapins moneyline
College Football Betting News
- College Football Betting Predictions: Top 5 Fearless Picks for the 2022-23 Season
- NCAA Football Betting Predictions: Programs that Will Struggle in 2022
- College Football Games to Bet On 2022 With the Highest Stakes on the Calendar
- NCAA Football Win Totals Betting Predictions for the Upcoming 2022 Season
- Early NCAAF 2022-23 National Championship Odds: Betting Favorites to Win the Title