The annual Celebration Bowl for historically black colleges takes place on Saturday, Dec. 17. The game pits Deion Sanders coached Jackson State versus surprising North Carolina Central. The Jackson State Tigers are huge favorites. Will the Neon One coach the Tigers to straight up and cover victories before he heads off to Colorado to coach the Buffaloes? Or do the NCC Eagles have a surprise in store for the chalk?
Keep reading for the College Football Bowl odds, analysis, and a free pick for Jackson State versus North Carolina Central.
NCAAF 2022 Celebration Bowl: Jackson State Tigers vs. North Carolina Central Eagles
- When: Saturday, Dec. 17 at 12:00 pm ET
- Where: Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Atlanta, GA
- TV / Streaming: ABC / ESPN+
- ATS Odds: Jackson State -16.5
- Money line Odds: North Carolina Central +510 / Jackson State -800
- Over/Under Odds: 56
Why bet on North Carolina Central versus Jackson State?
The MEAC’s first place team has had almost as impressive of a season as Jackson State. The Eagles finished the season 9-2. They scored 40 or more points in seven of the nine wins.
North Carolina Central scored 59 points twice, in wins over Virginia Lynchburg and Morgan State. NCC beat Howard 50-21. Jackson State is good but NCC’s offense is unstoppable.
North Carolina Central Stat Leaders
- Passing Yards: Darius Richard – 2,473
- Rushing Yards: Latrell Collier – 881
- Receiving Yards: E.J. Hicks – 529
- Tackles: Manny Smith – 46
- Interceptions: Kahlil Baker – 4
Why Bet on Jackson State vs. North Carolina Central?
Deion Sanders turned Jackson State into a power house program. The Tigers are, no doubt, one of the best FCS teams in the nation.
How successful was Jackson State this season? Sanders coached the Tigers to an undefeated 12-0 season. The beauty of how Jackson State plays is that they’re flexible. The Tigers can drop 40 or they can win a defensive slugfest.
Jackson State Stat Leaders
- Passing Yards: Shedeur Sanders – 3,383
- Rushing Yards: Sy’veon Wilkerson – 1,115
- Receiving Yards: Shane Hooks – 678
- Tackles: Aubrey Miller Jr. 54 – 46
- Interceptions: Tayvion Beasley – 2
Tigers vs. Eagles Relevant Trends
- Tigers are 5-2 ATS in their last 7 games
- Jackson State is 3-1 ATS in their last 4 games
- Under is 4-2 ATS in Jackson State’s last 6 games
- Eagles are 3-0 ATS in their last 3 games
- North Carolina Central is 4-2 ATS in their last 6 games
- Over is 5-2 ATS in the Eagles’ last 7 games
North Carolina Central vs. Jackson State Tigers Final Betting Prediction
The Jackson State players love their coach. So we should expect the dominating Tigers to not only win this game but to also cover the massive spread.
One of the main reasons to like Jackson State is because of the aforementioned flexibility. Jackson State beat Grambling 66-24, Mississippi Valley State 49-7, and Bethune-Cookman 48-8.
But the Tigers also beat Tennessee State 16-3 and Campbell 22-14. What the scores tell us that if North Carolina Central wants to slow down it down, Jackson State can win a slow-paced contest.
If the Eagles want to speed things up, the Tigers don’t mind playing fast, either. Jackson State’s flexibility, and their overall talent, should lead them to a win and cover at the 2022 Celebration Bowl.
NCAAF Celebration Bowl Pick: Jackson State Tigers -16.5