The Kentucky Derby is America’s most famous horse race. Because it’s America’s most famous horse race, not only can players wager on Derby win futures and the race itself, but they can also wager on several props. Check out our 2019 Kentucky Derby props as well as information on some of the most popular Run for the Roses prop wagers.
2019 Kentucky Derby Props
- When: Saturday, May 4 at 6:50pm ET
- Where: Churchill Downs Racetrack
- TV: NBC
- Live Stream: NBCsports.com
Margin of Victory
Among the wagering options are such things like a Dead Heat at +3000, a Nose at +1000, a head at +800, and a neck at +800. Players can also wager on the number of lengths. For example, if you believe the winner trounces the field by 15 lengths or more, you can win +1200.
Will Secretariat’s record of 1:59.4 be broken?
Yes is +1000 while no is -2500. No horse, not even American Pharoah and Justify, both of whom won the Triple Crown, beat Secretariat’s record. Some horse will break it eventually, though, so backing Yes every year until it hits might not be a bad strategy.
Will the first quarter-mile be over 22.8 or under 22.8?
Plenty of horses in this year’s Kentucky Derby seem to want to run on or near the lead. Then again, not all want to run on the lead at a fast pace, which means betting under at -110 is better than betting over at -120.
Time for the first half-mile over 46.8 or under 46.8?
Over is -110 while under is -120. 46.8 isn’t that quick. Under could win. However, if a horse like Maximum Security or Vekoma gets an easy lead, over might be the way to go here.
Will the Kentucky Derby winner lead wire to wire?
This is a great Kentucky Derby prop wager. If you believe a horse goes wire to wire, you get +450 odds. If you don’t, you get -800 odds. Horses don’t often win the Derby wire to wire. Then again, an aggressive jockey like Luis Saez aboard Maximum Security could put his horse on the lead. If nobody goes with Saez, he will try to steal it on the front end.
Which horse will be leading at the quarter pole?
Check out the 2019 Kentucky Derby odds:
- Game Winner +400
- Omaha Beach +400
- Roadster +400
- Improbable +600
- Maximum Security +700
- Tacitus +800
- Vekoma +900
- Code of Honor +1000
- By My Standards +1500
- War of Will +1500
- Tax +1500
- Cutting Humor +1500
- Win Win Win +1500
- Long Range Toddy +1800
- Plus Que Parfait +1800
- Haikal +1800
- Spinoff +2000
- Country House +2200
- Gray Magician +2200
- Master Fencer (JPN) +2500
First, understand that the quarter-pole designates that there is a quarter-mile left in the race. Most jockeys try to grab the lead at the quarter-pole and then ride their mounts to the finish line. That’s what makes this Kentucky Derby prop wager so fantastic.
The prop doesn’t ask who wins. The prop asks who’s in the lead at the quarter-pole. That could be any horse above listed, right? However, if you like a horse like Game Winner, you could get him at +400 to lead at the quarter-pole. That could offset whatever else you have on Game Winner, including your exotic wagers where he’s your key horse, just in case the two-year-old champ doesn’t win.
Winner will have run his final prep race in…
- California +200
- New York +300
- Florida +400
- Louisiana +500
- Arkansas +500
- Dubai +1000
- Other +400
This is a cool Derby prep. It depends on the horse you like. For example, if you’re a Roadster fan, you not only get Roadster when you bet on California, but you also get Game Winner because Roadster finished ahead of Game Winner in the Santa Anita Derby.
If you like Maximum Security, you’d put your money on Florida. If you like Omaha Beach, you put your money on Arkansas. If you bet Arkansas, you don’t just get Omaha Beach, you also get three other horses: Improbable, Country House, and Long Range Toddy. If you bet Louisiana, you also get three horses: By My Standards, Spinoff, and War of Will.
What makes this Derby prep cool is that it allows you to pool horses with the one you really like to win. Why not throw in Game Winner if you really like Roadster? Or, get some coverage with Improbable, Country House, and Long Range Toddy if you’re going to wager on Omaha Beach to win?
These are just some of the great Kentucky Derby prop wagers. Among some of the others are: which gate the winner will break from, if the trainer will be a first time Kentucky Derby winner, and what will the winning horse’s color be.
Kentucky Derby 2019 Racing News
- Horse Racing Betting: 2021 Kentucky Derby Recap
- 2021 Kentucky Derby Superfecta & Pick 4 Betting Predictions
- 2021 Kentucky Derby Exacta & Trifecta Betting Predictions
- Horse Racing Betting – 2021 Triple Crown Update
- 2021 Kentucky Derby Betting Update & Kentucky Oaks Picks
- 2021 Kentucky Derby Update: Essential Quality & Rock Your World Clear-Cut Favorites
- 2021 Top Stakes Races to Bet On From April 30th to May 1st
- 2021 Kentucky Derby: Concert Tour Is Out of The Race
- 2021 Kentucky Derby: Essential Quality Clear Favorite to Win it All
- 2021 Kentucky Derby Update: Concert Tour Runs in Grade 1 Arkansas Derby
- Three 2021 Kentucky Derby Prep Races Expert Analysis
- 2021 Triple Crown: 3 Kentucky Derby Prep Races Horse Analysis
- 2021 Kentucky Derby: How Really Good Is Mandaloun?
- 2021 Triple Crown: Concert Tour Showing He Is A Favorite
- Life Is Good Heading as Favorite to Win 2021 Kentucky Derby
- 2021 Kentucky Derby: Life Is Good Favorite to Win San Felipe Stakes
- 2021 Triple Crown: Essential Quality Makes 2021 Debut on Saturday
- 2021 Kentucky Derby: New Contender & Prospect Showing Up